Monday, February 29, 2016

Are You One, Sister? Is This Your Tribe, too?

Too many Christian women are having an identity crisis! We don’t know who we are anymore! We're confused because the world insists -- through marketing and all sorts of advertising -- we must look like the women (airbrushed and photo-shopped) on the magazine covers in the grocery stores. And, we get to STARE at those stinkin' covers while we stand in line waiting to pay for our food. Uh-huh. 

And then we're also supposed to have those perfect lives portrayed in the social media selfies. Right? Yup. Uh-huh.

Yep. The world tells us our value is in our appearance. And somehow the lie works into our minds that if we can gain some sort of celebrity status we'll receive all the value and affirmation for which we have hungered. No, Sister. It's a lie. There is only one true Celebrity and it is His Fame we should be promoting! His name is Jesus.

The truth is God is not interested in the outward appearance but instead He "looks at the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7).  And He doesn’t scream at us. We have to be still -- even for a moment -- in this crazy world to hear His loving gentle whisper: the Holy Spirit.

And think about this…

The world tells us our value comes from us and to be obsessed with ourselves! Think about it…I'm just sayin'.

I don’t know about you but when I become self-centered I’m in big trouble! That's when I can quickly be pulled into a deceiving undertow of lies by the devil. It means I've let go of my anchor, my identity in Jesus, and I've been swallowed up in self-absorbed idolatry. Hep me, Jesus! Yes, I said, "Hep."

Dearest Sisters, our identity is not what we do. How often do we say, "I’m just a mom. I’m just a teacher, I’m a cafeteria worker, I’m a receptionist, I’m a small business owner, I’m just a stay at home mom, I’m just a home school mom, I’m just a nanny, I’m just a  corporate president, a realtor, a lawyer, I'm a volunteer at a non-profit...!"

That is not who we are! That is what we do!


What if we began to transform and renew our minds and steer our thoughts toward TRUTH. We are WOMEN WHO FOLLOW JESUS.

 The LORD is our Shepherd and He promises to meet our every need as His sheep/people! (Psalm 23:1). :) 
 “His sheep follow Him because they know His voice."
 (John 10:4). 
"I am the Good Shepherd, I  know My sheep and my sheep know me.” (John 10:14)

We don’t change who we are, Jesus did that on the cross the day He called our names, forgave us when we confessed our sins, and saved us! We are to ACKNOWLEDGE who we are…Women Who Follow Jesus. Everything else will fall into place when we start thinking right. 

And with our new mindset we can step out each day with an attitude of gratitude, a servant’s heart and filled with His mercy!


 And, we would be on a mission to love God, love people, and make disciples.

Look, as women we are born nurturers! When you are nurturing you are not thinking about yourself! You are focused on loving and serving and helping!


We would live passionately for God's glory. "Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31). 


Let’s look at the women who followed Jesus in the Bible.

Matthew 27:55
The women were devoted to Jesus and modeled community in their loving service together.

Luke 8:1-3
The women supported His ministry out of their own finances.

Luke 24:10
It was a woman who carried the message of the empty tomb back to the disciples

Acts 1:14
The women prayed constantly.

Acts 8:1-4
The women were willingly persecuted along with the other disciples.



BAM! Pretty simple, huh? Pretty straightforward, isn't it? Maybe we need to let go of some stuff, you know, "throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles" (Hebrews 12:1). Lord, please help us do that!

Sisters, every morning before our feet hit the floor, we can say aloud, "I am a woman who follows Jesus. That is who I am! " We CAN daily put on that highly-honored robe of righteousness and dignity of being WOMEN WHO FOLLOW JESUS! Let's consider starting each day by intentionally FIRST seeing ourselves as WOMEN WHO FOLLOW JESUS...

...and SECONDLY seeing ourselves as wives, moms, daughters, grandmothers, employees, home school  moms, artists, writers, teachers, homemakers, and business owners? It would the same as, "Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well." (Matthew 6:33). 

In other words, if we own it that we are women who follow Jesus, and put Him first, He will abundantly take care of all our needs!

I know women are not going to follow Jesus unless they have a humble heart and a grateful attitude for what He has done for them. 

A woman is going to follow Jesus because she loves Him so much and she is so very thankful for what He has done for her! Frankly, she knows Him as her Lord and Savior.

Women Who Follow Jesus is not a club. There is no membership, no fees or dues. It's just a growing community of women who reach out to other women with the love of Christ. It's reaching out to help, to mentor, to encourage, to pray with and for, to meet for coffee, to come alongside in ministry efforts...you name it, Sister. 

It is creating community for the glory of God. Are you a woman who follows Jesus? Are you in this Tribe, Sister? 
Consider this your invitation. 

I would love to hear from you.

For His glory,
Polly
"Glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt His name together. "
Psalm 34:3