Wednesday, February 17, 2016

how do you keep going, sister?






God speaks to us all the time. Every child of God, knows that, right? If we look to Him for everything, and listen for His voice, we'll discover He's so close! Yep. He watches us and knows when we need to be encouraged. He sends us the perfect message in the moment we need it.

Just this morning just before I opened a new bottle red nail polish to brush on my nails, I glanced at the top of it and read the color, "Keep Up the Flame" and I laughed. I thought, Lord, you are speaking again. 

At that moment I sensed the Holy Spirit of God was telling me that no matter how I felt I needed to keep pressing in and pressing on. Yep. "For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God which is in you...for God did not give you a Spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound mind" (2 Timothy 1:6-7). Awesome, isn't He?



Spiritual warfare. Every faithful child of God knows all about these battles. Whether it's fighting against our own fleshly, idolatrous lusts, believing the lies of the enemy, or hearing dark tormenting thoughts.

Yep. It's tough to resist all that stuff that bombards the minds of God's kids here on earth, which is why Scripture calls it spiritual warfare. It rages on every day, doesn't it? Whether it's a small, nagging thorn in our side or an ongoing nightmare in our own mind, Jesus tells us, "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world" (John 16:33).

It's spiritual and we are supposed to fight spiritually. God says so. "The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds" ( 2 Corinthians 10:4). He has armed us with the supernatural, Holy Spirit-powered arsenal of Scripture and prayer!  

You know that power, Sister, it's the same power that raised Jesus from the dead and it's living inside of us! Whew. Yep, it's the "incredible greatness of God's power for us who believe Him. This is the same mighty power that raised Christ from the dead and seated Him in the place of honor at God's right hand in the heavenly realms" (Ephesians 1:19-20). 

And that spiritual power prompted me last Sunday morning while I was getting ready for church. I had been having discouraging negative thoughts that have haunted me over a period of time. But I looked in the bathroom mirror and saw I was still standing! I finished putting on makeup and slipped my boots on my feet. It was the power of the Holy Spirit who was already encouraging my heart by saying,  "I know all about how you are feeling but look, you're fine, awake and getting dressed because you're about to go worship with your church family! Do you see, no matter how low and dark you feel, you are persevering because I am empowering you by my Spirit. I am keeping you going, no matter how you feel." BAM! I smiled. Wow. He was talking to my heart reminding me of His power continually at work in me. 




I jumped in my car and drove myself to church -- sweet hubs was sick -- and couldn't wait to worship with all my heart and thank God for 'the incredible greatness of His power" in me! No matter how I feel, God showed me He is going to always help me. 

 Precious Sisters, no matter how we feel, God is going to always help us. Always. Now and forever. 

Love in Jesus,
Polly
"Glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt His name together!"
Psalm 34:3